Mumbai is one of the major cities of the world. It is the 6th most crowded city in the world. It is also called as ‘City of Dream’ or ‘Sapno ka saher’. For this reason thousands of people migrate from all over India to Mumbai in the hope of finding job or to fullfill their dreams. Some suceed but most donot. Resources are few but people are more. You will see most of the public places crowded, road full with trafic jam, trains heavily crowded.
The unemployed have not option but to resort to stealing, pick pocketing, cheating etc. Mumbai has the biggest slum in all of Asian. Crime rate is high and on the rise. Those who are new Mumbai should follow these simple rules.
1. Try to avoid crowded places.
2. Donot use trains during peak hours. If you really need to travel by train or bus, pay attention to your baggage, wallet, ornaments etc.
3. Avoid speaking with strangers.
4. Avoid eating food from the road side vendors as they may be using adultrated or substandard materials which may make you sick.
5. Females should avoid moving out during odd hours. They should not travel to isolated locations. If possible always be accompanied by a local.
6. Call 100 incase of trouble. This is the phone number of the Mumbai Police. Help will come to you in around 10min (this is my experiance). Know the location you are in when you call this number.
7. Do not involve in any illegal act.
8. Foreginers are advised not to travel alone. Alway be accompanied by local.
9. Wash your hands with soap or disinfectant before eating any thing.
Compared to other cities of India, Mumbai is comparatively safe. This is due to the fact that the city never sleeps. You will find people on the road during any time of the day or night. People are very helpful if you approach them for help. However the above guideliness should be followed so that you may have an enjoyable experiance in world most crowed city.