Crawford Market (renamed to Mahatma Jyoti Phule Mandai) is a wholesale and retail market located in Mumbai, India. It was named after Arthur Crawford, the Municipal Commissioner of Bombay from 1864 to 1884. The market sells various goods, including fresh produce, meat, poultry, seafood, and household items.
It is a popular destination for both tourists and locals alike. The market is housed in a Victorian Gothic building. The building is an important heritage site in Mumbai and is a fine example of Victorian Gothic architecture in India.
The building is known for its Gothic-style arches, spires, and turrets, as well as its decorative stone carvings and stained glass windows. The main entrance is located on the south side of the building and is marked by a large archway.
The interior of the building is laid out in a rectangular plan, with a central corridor running the length of the building and smaller rooms and stalls branching off on either side.
The building is constructed of stone and brick, with a slate roof and decorative stone details. The Crawford Market building is an important heritage site in Mumbai and a fine example of Victorian Gothic architecture in India.
Items sold in Crawford market
Crawford Market is a wholesale and retail market located in Mumbai, India. It is known for selling a wide variety of goods, including:
- Fresh produce, such as fruits and vegetables
- Meat and poultry
- Spices and condiments
- Tea and coffee
- Dried goods, such as grains and pulses
- Household items, such as kitchenware and cleaning supplies
- Personal care products, such as soap and cosmetics
- Clothing and accessories
- Toys and gifts
- Books and stationery
- Art and antiques
This is just a general list of some of the items that are commonly sold at Crawford Market. The market is known for its wide selection of goods; other items may also be available for purchase.
There are a few ways to reach Crawford Market.
- By public transportation: Crawford Market is located in the heart of Mumbai and is easily accessible by local buses, trains, and taxis. The market is located near the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, a central transportation hub in the city.
- By car: If you are driving to Crawford Market, you can park in one of the parking lots in the area. Be aware that traffic can be heavy in this part of the city, especially during peak hours.
- By foot: Crawford Market is located in a densely populated area of the city, so walking to the market from nearby neighborhoods is easy.
Regardless of how you reach the market, planning your trip and allowing plenty of time to get there is a good idea.
Timing of Crawford Market
Crawford Market is generally open from 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM seven days a week.
Please note that the market timing may vary based on the specific type of goods sold. For example, the fresh produce section of the market may open earlier in the morning to allow vendors to set up their stalls and for customers to purchase the freshest produce. The market may also be busier during certain times, such as early morning or late afternoon when more people shop.
Things to do in Crawford Market
Crawford Market is a popular destination for tourists and locals in Mumbai, India. Here are a few things you can do while visiting the market:
- Shop for fresh produce, meat, poultry, seafood, and other goods. Crawford Market is known for its wide selection of goods and is a great place to find unique and hard-to-find items.
- Explore the Victorian Gothic building that houses the market. The Crawford Market building is an important heritage site in Mumbai and a fine example of Victorian Gothic architecture in India.
- Take a guided tour of the market. Several companies offer guided tours of Crawford Market, which can be a great way to learn more about the market and its history.
- Visit the Pet Corner at the market. The market has a section dedicated to pets, where you can find a variety of animals, including birds, fish, and small mammals.
- Try some local street food. There are several street food vendors in and around the market, offering a variety of delicious and affordable snacks and meals.
- Take a break at one of the market’s cafes or restaurants. Several cafes and restaurants in the market offer a range of cuisines and drinks.
Best Time to Visit Crawford Market
The best time to visit Crawford Market in Mumbai, India, will depend on your personal preferences and the specific activities you want to do while you are there. Here are a few things to consider:
- Peak season: Crawford Market is a popular tourist destination so that it can get busy during peak tourist season. If you prefer to avoid crowds, you may want to visit the market during the off-season.
- Weather: The weather in Mumbai can be pretty hot and humid, with temperatures ranging from the low 80s to the low 90s Fahrenheit (low to mid-30s Celsius) throughout the year. If you are not a fan of hot weather, you may want to visit the market during the cooler months, from November to February.
- Special events: Crawford Market may have different hours or be closed for special events or holidays. Check the schedule beforehand if you plan to visit the market for a specific event.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Crawford Market
Here are a few things to keep in mind while visiting Crawford Market in Mumbai:
- Wear comfortable shoes: Crawford Market is a large, bustling market, and you will likely do a lot of walking there. Wear comfortable shoes to make your visit more enjoyable.
- Be prepared for crowds: Crawford Market is a popular destination and can get quite crowded, especially during peak tourist season. Be prepared for crowds and allow extra time for your visit.
- Respect local customs and traditions: Crawford Market is located in a culturally diverse city, and it is important to respect local customs and traditions while you are there. This includes dressing modestly and behaving appropriately in public.
- Be aware of your surroundings: As with any crowded place, it is important to be aware of your surroundings and to protect your personal belongings. Keep an eye on your valuables and avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Stay hydrated: The weather in Mumbai can be quite hot and humid, so staying hydrated while visiting the market is important. Carry a water bottle with you and take breaks to rest and hydrate.
- Have fun: Crawford Market is a vibrant and lively place, and there is a lot to see and do while you are there. Take your time and enjoy your visit.
Tips when shopping at Crawford Market
- Shop around: The market has many stalls and vendors, so it is a good idea to shop around and compare prices before purchasing.
- Negotiate: Many vendors at Crawford Market are willing to negotiate on price, especially for larger purchases. Don’t be afraid to ask for a discount or to try to haggle for a better price.
- Look for discounts: Some vendors at the market offer discounts on select items, so it is worth looking for deals and special offers.
- Buy in bulk: If you are planning to purchase a large quantity of an item, you may get a better price by buying in bulk.
- Shop at wholesale markets: Crawford Market is a wholesale market, so you can find various goods at discounted prices.
What is Crawford Market famous for?
Crawford Market in Mumbai, India, is known for its wide selection of goods, including fresh produce, meat, poultry, seafood, and household items. It is a popular destination for tourists and locals alike and is known for its vibrant and lively atmosphere.
The market is also known for its Victorian Gothic building. The building is an important heritage site in Mumbai and is a fine example of Victorian Gothic architecture in India. The market is also home to several cafes and restaurants that offer various cuisines and drinks.
Places to visit near Crawford Market
Crawford Market is located in the heart of Mumbai, India, so there are several exciting places to visit in the surrounding area. Here are a few suggestions:
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus: This historic railway station is just a few minutes from Crawford Market. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a critical Mumbai transportation hub.
- Gateway of India: This iconic monument is about 2 kilometers from Crawford Market. It is a popular tourist destination and a great place to view the harbor and the city.
- Crawford Market Pet Corner: Crawford Market has a section dedicated to pets, where you can find a variety of animals, including birds, fish, and small mammals.
- Victoria Terminus: This historic building is just a few minutes walk from Crawford Market. It was the headquarters of the Great Indian Railway and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Flora Fountain: This iconic fountain is about 1 kilometer from Crawford Market. It is a popular meeting place and a great place to enjoy city views.
- Prince of Wales Museum: This museum is located about 2 kilometers from Crawford Market and is known for its art, artifacts, and natural history specimens collection.
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya: This museum is located about 2 kilometers from Crawford Market and is known for its art, artifacts, and natural history specimens collection.
- Haji Ali Dargah: This iconic mosque and tomb is located about 5 kilometers from Crawford Market and is a popular religious site in Mumbai.
- Taraporewala Aquarium: This aquarium is located about 2 kilometers from Crawford Market and is home to various marine animals, including fish, sharks, and rays.
- Nehru Planetarium: This planetarium is located about 2 kilometers from Crawford Market and is a great place to learn about astronomy and space science.
- Kamala Nehru Park: This park is about 1 kilometer from Crawford Market and is popular for picnics and leisurely walks.
- Bombay High Court: This historic courthouse is located about 1 kilometer from Crawford Market and is an essential legal center in Mumbai.