About Taraporewala Aquarium
Taraporewala Aquarium is one of India’s oldest aquariums. It is one of the main tourist attractions of Mumbai. You will find marine as well as freshwater fishes at the display for visitors.
The aquarium was taken up for renovation and has been renovated with a new look and reopened on March 3, 2015.
It now has a 12 feet long and 360-degree view glass tunnel. Another interesting part is the special pool for children, where they can touch and feel the fish, which are harmless.
The fishes are placed in a large glass tank which is illuminated with LED lighting.
The Taraporewala Aquarium houses 2,000 fishes of more than 400 different species. The total cost for renovating the complete aquarium is around Rs.22 corer.
Internationally available exotic fishes have been introduced in the renovated Aquarium.
1. There is an Amphitheater with a 50 seating capacity, where they screen documentaries of fishes and the marine ecosystem.
2. Pool where visitors can touch and feel the starfish, sea urchins, sea cucumbers, and various turtles.
3. SPA for your foot – Here, you can dip your feet into one of the 10 tanks. The fishes in the tank will nibble away and clean your feet of the dead skin.
4. LED lighting display of coral and rocky Terran.
5. Jellyfish in a circular tank.
Built-in the year 1951, the Taraporewala Aquarium was built with a cost of Rs.8,00,000 (around 12,000 USD). The aquarium was inaugurated by Dr. Rajendra Prasad, who was India’s first president. The major contributor to the aquarium was a Parsee Philanthropist, DB Taraporewala (Rs.2,00,000 – 3,000 USD), after whom the Aquarium was named.
- 10 am to 8 pm on weekdays
- During government, public holidays, Sundays and 2nd and 4th Saturday Aquarium remain open from 10 am to 9 pm.
- The aquarium is closed on Mondays.
|Adults, Above 12 years||60|
|Children Between Age 3 to 12 years||30|
|Rates For Educational Institutes||30|
|Retired Government Employees||40|
|Foreign Tourists (NRI & Other International Visitors, Above Age 12)||200|
|Children Foreign Tourists (NRI & Other International Visitors, Between 3 to 12 years)||100|
|Disabled or Physically Challenged Person||30|
Photography and Videography Charges :
|Type Of Cameras||Charges|
|Photography / Videos via mobile Cameras||500|
|Pictures and Clips Via Video and Digital Cameras||1000|
|Professional Still Cameras||5000|
|Professional Video Shoots||10000|
How to reach the Tatapurwala Aquarium
Address: Tarapurwala Building, Near Charni Road Railway Station, Charni Road, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400002, India. Tel : +91-22-22821239 +91-22-22821622
Walking distance from Charni Road Railway station.
From Charni Road Railway Station:-
- Walk north-west on Maharshi Karve Rd towards Dr. Babasaheb Jaykar Marg/Thakurdwar Rd for 15 meters
- Turn right at Bank Of India onto Dr. Babasaheb Jaykar Marg/Thakurdwar Rd for 25 meters
- Take the pedestrian overpass – Pass by IndianAutoStore.com (on the left in 100 meters)
- Turn left onto Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Rd – Pass by Kaivalyadham (on the left in 29 meters)
- Taraporewala Aquarium Destination will be on the left