Gorai beach is a famous picnic spot surrounded by Manori, Uttan, Dongri & Marve villages.
It is also very close to Essel world and The Global Vipassana Pagoda. Couples and families prefer this beach as it is easily accessible from Bhaydar, Borivali, and Malad.
Gorai is one of the cleanest and safest beaches in Mumbai and an excellent choice for those looking for a peaceful weekend getaway from the hustle and bustle of Mumbai.
Gorai is on an island and visiting the beach and the surrounding will give you a feeling of being in Goa. It is a favorite choice for Families and Couples.
There are several cottages and resorts available for overnight stays. Some cottages are very close to the beach. Check about the cottages before booking as some are not meant for family.
Gorai is very close to Marve & Manori beach. One can experience the calmness of the Koli community villages, and one can see olden-style houses. The main occupation of people there is fishing and farming.
Gorai is home to many native local communities. On your way to the beach, you will see the olden-styled houses and huts, giving you a nostalgic feel.
The natives here are very friendly, you should try talking to them, and you will learn a lot of facts about Mumbai that you will not get to reach even on websites or books.
History of Gorai
The East Indian community mainly populates Gorai. Most of them are Roman Catholics. Gorai has three churches. The oldest church is Reis Magos, built by Franciscan missionaries around 1595 to 1602.
The new one is the church named after the Three Magi, built-in 1810. The 3rd church is dedicated to Infant Jesus; it is a Chapel and very near to the old church.
How to reach Gorai beach
- The closest station is Malad. Out of Malad station, you will get BEST bus 272 (Charge appx. Rs.15) or take an Auto rickshaw (Rs. 100) around 7 Km to Marve Beach. From here, there are ferries every 5 minutes that will cross you to Manori. From Manori, you will get a bus or Auto Rickshaw to Gorai. There is a public transport bus. No. 1, 2, and 6 will take you to Manori.
- You will have to reach via the Bhayandar route. From National Highway 8, Get inside the Kashi-Mira junction and keep straight. After 5 to 7 minutes of the drive, you will reach Bhayandar East-West Flyover on the left. Keep following the Essel World signboard and go straight on Uttan Road to get to Gorai beach.
- Western Express Highway, 1st Left turn after Dahisar Octroi checks Naka Route to Esselworld, Gorai-Manori.
From Marve Beach, you can cross over by Boat Ferry, which charges around Rs.10. After crossing over, you can take Auto or Bus No. 1, 2, or 6 to Manori, Essel world, Gorai Uttan, etc.
Here are some hotels you can stay at
01. Fonseca’s Beach Resort
Rs. 1400 per night stay.
Address: Main Gorai Beach, Borivali West, Gorai, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400091
Phone: 022 2845 2471
Address: Manori Village, Manori Gorai Road, Via – Malad West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400095
Phone: 098219 98470 / 9819753959
03. Sun & Shade
Rs. 2100 per night stay
Address: Manori- Gorai Road, Manori Island, Malad West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400095
Phone: 022 2845 2189
04. Tourist Resort Gorai
Rs. 1400 per night stay
Address: Gorai Beach, Manori Gorai Uttan Road, Behind Hill View Hotel, Borivali West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400091
Phone: 093227 28287
When to visit, Timings and Entry Fee:
This beach can be visited anytime in the year, and there is no entry fee. It is advised to leave the beach by 7 pm as it becomes very dark.
|Monday||7:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Tuesday||7:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Wednesday||7:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Thursday||7:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Friday||7:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Saturday||7:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Sunday||7:00 am – 7:00 pm|
Places Near Gorai Beach
- Essel World: Known as the adventure park within Mumbai, Essel World is an adventure park that is open to visitors of all age groups. Enjoy a full day in excitement, and then visit the water park if you want to try water-based adventure rides and sports.
2. Arnala Fort: Located around 60 kilometers from Gorai Beach, the fort is a must-see spot for anyone who is an avid historian or needs to snap a picture at a haunted place. The fort built in the 15th century that was rustic and built by the Portuguese is still standing and is a popular destination for tourists.
3. Marve Beach: Gorai beach is visited by many tourists. You can also spend your time at Marve beach, on the opposite side of Gorai island. Enjoy an intimate, peaceful experience. You can also enjoy the beautiful waters of the ocean. It is possible to take an excursion ferry at Gorai beach to get to Marve Beach.
4. Aksa Beach: Aksa Beach is another fantastic weekend escape you can enjoy with your family and friends. The beach is a water adventure sport and tasty beachside snacks to enjoy as you unwind from the hustle and bustle of Mumbai.
Things to do at Gorai Beach Mumbai
- Fun in the Water: Gorai Beach offers a variety of water sports and adventure games. In addition to the thrilling boat cruises, you can also participate in a jet ski or kite surfing, among other sports. Do not venture too deep into the waters, as it can be dangerous.
2. Horse Riding: The opportunity to ride on a horse. You can ride along the beach by riding the back of a horse and riding along the beach. If you’re not keen to take a ride on the back of a horse that is galloping, it is possible to take the option of a more leisurely camelback ride if there is. A cart ride on a bullock at Gorai Beach might also be fun, allowing you to explore the beach with your friends.
3. Walking on the Shore: A stroll along the sandy shore on the beach at Gorai is fund as it is among the cleanest beaches in Mumbai. While walking along the beach along with family and friends taking in the cool breeze could be refreshing. Take a stroll barefoot on the sands, or lie down under the shade of the trees and do whatever you feel like. Be sure to take beautiful photos using your camera to capture the beautiful blue-green landscape on the shoreline.
4. StreedFood: Go to the street food stalls. Street food stalls at Gorai Beach offer a plethora of choices for your palate. You can eat roasted corn cobs with spicy chana masala or the tangy Bhel puri. If you’re looking for something a bit more refreshing and sweeter, you can try the ice lollies with flavors. Hot fish sizzlers, as well as various other seafood products that are fresh, are readily available.
5. Nightly partying: The Gorai Beach New Year party is a memorable night. Gorai Beach’s New Year celebration is famous for the loud music, drinking, and partying all night. The resorts organize other events, too, particularly during full moon nights. Campfires are a great place to gather, perform with your friends, and eat a tasty dinner on a warm evening. Parties on the beach are organized during the Holi festival and other festivals. Ensure some hotels or locals organize this, do not just generally start parting.
4. Meeting the locals: Try spending time in the village and talking to local fishermen. They will tell you about the adventures at sea, and you will learn some interesting facts about Mumbai and Gorai that you will not get to read on websites or books. You may even get a free ride in their fishing boats if lucky. You may even get to hear some haunting ghost stories from them.