Mumbai has 3 Zoos. They are VeerMata Jigabai Bhonsale Zoo, Humboldt penguins Park and Sanjay Gandhi National Park. All 3 have their unique specialty.
01. Veermata Jijabai Bhonsale Udyan, also known as the Byculla Zoo
Established in 1862, this zoo is spread over 21.44 hectares and situation in Byculla East, Mumbai. This zoo was formerly known as Victoria Garden and is counted among the oldest zoo in India.
A famous attraction is the 2 Bengal tigers who are named Shakti and Karishma. There are many animals apart from Tigers that you will get to witness i.e Hyenas, Crocodiles, elephants, hippopotamus, Bats, Parrots, Turtle, Tortoise, and swamp deers. Apart from the animals, the zoo is popular for its fauna also.
02. Humboldt penguins Park
This part in part of the Byculla zoo, however, is being shown separately due to the special attraction of 7 penguins named Bubble, Molt, Donald, Daisy, Popeye, Olive, and Flipper, who have become famous and even today draws many visitors to the park. They open for public display in 2017.
The temperature in the 1700 square feet space is well maintained at a cooling point of 16 degrees celsius to create a conducive temperature for the penguins who survive in cold climates only.
More than 10 crores of revenue have been generated by Byculla zoo after these penguins were introduced for public viewing and visitor count has also crost 25 lakh within 2 years.
These penguins were brought from Seoul in South Korea in 2016 at a spend of around Rs. 45 crore.
Timings of the Park are as follows; however, this being Covid time, kindly check the dates and timings before visiting the park.
Timings and Entry Fee for Veermata Jijabai Bhonsale Udyan and Humboldt penguins Park
- Monday:- 9:00 Am – 6:00 Pm
- Tuesday:- 9:00 Am – 6:00 Pm
- Wednesday:- Closed
- Thursday:- 9:00 Am – 6:00 Pm
- Friday:- 9:00 Am – 6:00 Pm
- Saturday:- 9:30 Am – 6:00 Pm
- Sunday:- 9:00 Am – 6:00 Pm
- Indian National – Adult: Rs. 50, Children: Rs. 20
- Foreigner National – Adult: Rs. 400, Children: Rs. 200
- Baggage counter souvenir shop
- Drinking water fountains
- Rainwater shelters
- Interpretation Center
- Child Care center
- Public Toilets
- Cafe and Eatery
Adress of the Zoo:
Veermata Jijabai Bhosle Udyan-Zoo, Mumbai,
Dr. B.Ambedkar Road, Byculla (East),
Mumbai – 400 027, Maharashtra.
How to Reach
- Mumbai Internation Airport: 16 Kms.
- Byculla Railway Station: 550 Mtrs.
- Road – Several City Bus and Taxi service is available throughout Mumbai and is easily accessible by road.
The Sanjay Gandhi National Park is also known as Borivali National park and is easily accessible by road or railways. The National Park houses 274 species of birds, 35 species of mammals, 170 species of butterflies, and 1300+ species of trees. It is a forest in itself.
Apart from Zoo, The Sanjay Gandhi National Park also has Kanheri Caves, Mini train, Boating, Lion Tiger Safari, and Gandhi Tekri, from where you can enjoy the scenic view of the forest and the city.
Here is some information that will come in handy before you plan your visit.
Entry Fee and timing for the National Park, Mini Train, Lion Tiger Safari, and Kanheri Caves
Mini Train Ride (Van rani Ticket Charges)
- Adults: Rs.55
- Children: Rs.21
Rules and Regulations for Mini Train
- Monday shall be closed
- Please get the tickets verified at the ticket counter
- Minimum 20 people required to start the train journey
- Timings are 9:00 to 5:30
Lunch break: 12:30 to 1:30
- Each journey is of 20-25 mins.
Sanjay Gandhi National Park – Main Gate Fee
- Adults: Rs.64
- Children: Rs.34
- Two Wheelers: Rs.44
- LMV: Rs.215
- HMV: Rs.322
- Cycles: Rs.22
- 2 Seater Boats: Rs.64
- 4 Seater Boats: Rs.130
Rules and Regulations for Boating
- Timings 9:00 to 5:30 Lunch break: 12:30 to 1:30.
- Monday shall be closed for maintenance
Morning Walk and Jogging Charges – Yearly Pass
- Senior Citizens: Rs.25
- Other Adults / Citizens: Rs.215
Lion & Tiger Safari Ticket Costs
- Tiger Safari Charges for Adults: Rs.85
- Tiger Safari Children: Rs.34
- Tiger & Lion Safari Both (Adults) : Rs.108
- Tiger & Lion Safari Both Children: Rs.43
- Timings: 9:00 to 4:30 Luch break: 12:30 to 1:30
- Minimum 15 people required to start the bus journey
- The journey will commence according to the minimum criteria set by the authorities.
Kanheri Caves Bus Services
- Bus Charges to Kanheri For Adults: Rs.64
- Kanheri Caves Bus Ticket Cost for Children: Rs.34
The Sanjay Gandhi National Park is easily accessible from Road and it’s on Western Express Highway. It is very close to Borivali Railway station from where you can take Auto Rickshaw or BEST Bus.
Mumbai is a treasure house of delight for Tourists who visit here. From Beaches, Monument, Religious Places, Zoos, National park, etc, there is a lot of other attractions. Here are some honorable mentions.