The RTO department has started a new service due to increased road accidents and hit and run cases. Now you can get the information on the vehicle and its owner by sending an SMS or from their official website.
However, this service will only show details of vehicles registered after 2003. Good initiative.
Get information on vehicles using SMS
Type the following SMS – VAHAN registration number (example – VAHAN mh02bt4396)
Send the SMS to – 092123 57123
On sending the SMS, you will get the following information immediately:
• Vehicle number with State and city name.
• Owner name
• Make of the Vehicle
• Type of the vehicle
• Registration fitness validity
• The road tax payment validity
Get Vehicle information on the internet.
Step 1 – Access the Vahan website.
- Click on this URL to access the official website of Indian RTO https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/faces/user/searchstatus.xhtml
- Put your mobile number and select ‘Create Account.’ You will receive an OTP on your phone. Once entered, you will be able to create an account.
Step 2 – Register as a new user
After registration, you will get to log in. Put your mobile number and password to login into the portal.
Step 3 – Mention the registration number of the vehicle
You can now enter the vehicle number for which you need the details. Example MH02XXXXXX and click on Vahan Search
Step 4 – Your information will be fetched from the database
Below is how the details will be received from the Vahan portal.
To know about the Maharashtra Vehicle Registration Series and which RTO it belongs to, visit this portal.